Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> I think some people may not be happy about them, is there an option to
> deactivate the login shell? I just ask for completeness, I am happy to have
> it active as default.

It is universally agreed that this is an important thing.  The way you
do it is specify the shell for the pseudo-user `login' to be something
other than /bin/bash.  In particular, if you set the shell for `login'
to be /bin/loginpr, then you will get the traditional prompting
version of login.

A no-uid login does a complete login for the password file entry
`login' (except that the UID and GID for that entry are ignored).
What getty starts on a new terminal line is a UID-free login.  So
whatever the shell is for the pseudo-user `login' is what you get when
a terminal first goes live.

Normally that's /bin/bash, but users are free to change it to
/bin/loginpr instead.

Thomas