Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 12:54:54AM +0000, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > I have some free time now, and want to focus on an intermediate release of
> > Debian GNU/Hurd. No CD, no base disks, just the stuff on the ftp archive
> > and some nice installation instructions, to get developers on board.
>
> AFAIK, the installation instructions (which I've put on www.gnu.org)
> should now be up-to-date and correct. Please inform me of any corrections
> ASAP.

I will try to remember double checking them.

> > * GNU inetutils (coming soon).					[Marcus+ ? ]
>
> What needs doing here still?

The whole netutils thing is a mess. netbase contains important configuration
files, and I don't want to have two places for them, so netbase needs heavy
changes.

Otherwise, GNU inetutils is almost done. Expect something soon.

> > * boot procedure (sysv vs bsd).
>
> I'd personally prefer sysv here.

Me, too, because this is Debian default. We need to analyse Hurds current
behaviour and then move it slowly to Debian behaviour. I have ported login
etc once, and we need to find a naming scheme for Hurd login and Debian
login (probably dpkg-divert and a configuration option).

> > * make sure network works.
>
> I've not had any problems recently, though I've not tried ftpfs.

Okay, but we need to make sure it works with the startup scripts etc (so you
don't need to do it manually). This is why init comes first, and then
configuration.