Re: Let's talk about intermediate release...

Hi Marcus,

> I have some free time now, and want to focus on an intermediate release of
> Debian GNU/Hurd. No CD, no base disks, just the stuff on the ftp archive
> and some nice installation instructions, to get developers on board.

Great! I'm currently preparing a tutorial on Mach, Lites and GNU/Hurd
for the german unix users group (GUUG) technical spring conference
in Cologne, http://www.guug.de/ffg99/ due March 17th.
I do have the option to put Mach/Hurd on the proceedings CD-ROM until
ca. 2 March.

Since I'm trying to motivate people to write new Mach- und Hurd-based
software, it would be good to provide them on the same occation with a
working development environment...

> Please let me know what you thing is missing on this list:
> * ae, dpkg, egcs, perl, findutils  need an update.		[Marcus]
> * Check remaining packages in base thoroughly.		[Marcus]
> * GNU inetutils (coming soon).				[Marcus+ ? ]
> * ext2utils, glibc						[gordon]
cross-gcc or cross-egcs packages [built for Debian/Linux]
native-gcc or native-egcs packages
gdb

Very important for developers: _sources_ for gnumach, the hurd and glibc!

Mach and Hurd Maintainers:
  could you please add some infos about how you debug under the Hurd?
  [Meaning: gdb features, starting alternate servers, using portinfo, ...]

> Expected time frame: two-three weeks.
Could an intermediate release be ready by March 1st for the GUUG CD-ROM?

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany