Please commit each change separately, with clear commit message

On 12-02-28 at 10:46am, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On 12-02-28 at 11:50am, Kiwamu Okabe wrote:
> > I git-pushed my changes to pandoc repo on collab-maint.
> > Could you check it?
> > (But you may wait
> > haskell-zip-archive/haskell-texmath/haskell-citeproc-hs packages,
> >  because new pandoc needs them.)
>
> Your changes look good (from a first quick glance at it).

I notice now that you committed multiple changes, including changes to
Maintainer and Uploaders fields, in a commit very briefly labelled as
"new upstream version / DMUA yes".

Please commit each structural change separately.  That way it is easier
to later revert or cherry-pick across branches (e.g. a change in the
unstable branch reusable for a stable security update).

Also, please be more verbose in commit messages (or if very dirty then
at least admit that you don't, e.g. by saying "doing lots of stuff".

git-buildpackage has a neat helper tool for this. Here's what I would
do:

  git commit -m "Change foo to bar."

  git commit -m "Add baz (and drop kaboink)."
  git dch -a

That last command above fetches all commit messages since changelog was
last edited, and adds them as changelog entries.

So, ideally your commit messages are phrased as clearly as you would
want the World to read them in the changelog ;-)

 - Jonas