Re: Git?

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>
>> The only tarball-related git thing you might do is use pristine-tar,
>> which writes a small bit of metadata that allows you to generate a
>> bit-identical copy of the original tarball using only what's in the
>> repo [...]
>
> Why would you use pristine-tar instead of uscan?  It seems to me the
> easiest way to generate an upstream tarball that's bit-for-bit identical
> to the upstream tarball is to, you know, download the upstream tarball.

... or not have to, because adding 1K to your git repo will let you
recreate it in milliseconds...

> The only countercases I can image are 1) if you aren't on the internet
> right now; or 2) you can't afford to download the upstream tarball
> (because it's absurdly large, like say openoffice).

Or upstream goes away.  Or is offline.  Or moves.  Or takes longer to
download than it takes to generate from VCS.

Seriously, it's not that hard, takes absurdly little space, is built
into the toolset, and lets you recreate any version in history.

It's not required, sure, but it's nice to have.

-- John