Git? (Was: Team maint update)

Hi John,

thanks for setting up the Haskell group!

Am Donnerstag, den 02.07.2009, 22:10 -0500 schrieb John Goerzen:
> * Submitted a ticket to the Alioth admins to create our Git area

I’d like to kick of a (short) discussion as to what’s the best
repository layout and VCS choice for the group is.

Given that we are going to maintain a large number of very similar
packages, a common use case will be making similar adjustments to all
packages at once. This would very much benefit from having one VCS
repository for all packages.

Another pro of one repository is that it’s easier to get all packages at
once.

I’m influenced by the Debian Perl Group which I founded 5 years ago and
left shortly after :-). I’d like to advocate following it’s lead, given
it’s success of handling a very large number (1170!) of similar packages
well – obviously quite a similar situation than ours.

Using a similar repository layout than they, we can re-use their tools.
Especially
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi
is interesting, as it helps checking for new upstream releases and
coordinates the process of sponsoring packages.

Information on the DPG’s SVN layout can be found here:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/subversion.html#2__repository_anatomy

Now, this is of course just an suggestion. I’m also fine with working
with git, or darcs, or whatever :-)

(Darcs, of course, has some charm on it’s own for a Debian Haskell
Group. Marco uses darcs to only keep the debian/ directories under
version control: http://code.haskell.org/debian/ – this might also be a
viable option. I guess John, being the author of darcs-buildpackage, can
best guess if it’s a good idea to use Darcs).