Re: Terrible shape of our Haskell platform

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 03.07.2009, 08:32 +1000 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> > FWIW, on Arch Linux I had to take over maintainance of Haskell packages that had
> > previously been maintained by non-Haskell devs. We did this via a joint
> > account 'arch-haskell', which now maintains everything: ghc, core libs,
> > platform, tools and extras.
>
> Before picking up Haskell, I spent many years using Ocaml on Debian
> and Ubuntu systems. The Debian Ocaml peopl group maintain the vast
> majority of Ocaml libraries and programers. When a new compiler is
> released, they have processes in place so thet can usually rebuild
> everything with the new compiler within a couple of days.
>
> Here in Debian Haskell land, we had ghc-6.10.3 hit unstable about 2
> months ago and important stuff like haskell-network is still broken.

In theory, with the new haskell-devscripts features in place, we have
the ability for a quick rebuild with binNMUs as well. We still need to
improve our tools there (someone pointed to the tools that the Ocaml
people use, that ought to be ported).

The problem ATM is that the ghc6.10.3 upload came together with parsec2,
being high in the dependency tree, stuck in NEW. This might be
unfortunate, but there is little that we can do about that.

> I am a strong advocate for group maintaining all the important
> Haskell stuff like they do for Ocaml. Unfortunately, I am only
> a Debian Maintainer, not a Debian Developer so there is only so
> much  can do.

I’m glad to see this rolling. I suggested a group a few months ago, but
back then there were far fewer Haskell interested people there, and
there was not the necessary momentum. I’m glad that this has changed
now. /me goes to join the group.