Re: [Debian-haskell] Activity?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:18:48PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> >> I'm confused.  Both ByteString and Cabal have been in Debian for ages.
> >> Can you be more specific about what version of Debian you're using and
> >> what you're missing?
> >
> > Debian Lenny.
> >
> > The following two commands:
> >
> >    apt-file search bin/cabal
> >    apt-file search byestring
> >
> > both return nothing.
>
> That's because you're searching for the wrong thing in the former case.
>
> First off, Cabal is a packaging system and library, not a command.

Confusingly, it's both. The Haskell package "Cabal" is a library, while
the package "cabal-install" provides a programm called "cabal".

> I had not heard of apt-file before; thanks.
>
> dpkg -S ByteString  will give you what you want.

Only if you already have what you want installed.

> I don't know if
> apt-file is trying to match the full filename, or maybe you have a very
> old version of Debian.

It works for me:

$ apt-file search bytestring
[...]
ghc6: usr/lib/ghc-6.8.2/lib/bytestring-0.9.0.1/Data/ByteString.hi
[...]

Erik, you may need to "apt-file update", or perhaps the problem is you
typoed "byestring" as above?

Thanks
Ian