Re: Zaurus keeps crashing

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:18:25PM -0700, Boris R. wrote:
> Wouldn't "apt-get --print-uris" and/or  "dpkg -i *.deb" still read and write
> a bunch of files and crash the system ?  When I did "apt-get update" it did
> crash the system.
>
> By the way, the same problems existed also for a true MMC card (128Mb),
> so the problem is not particular to SD.

I think that if it's that unstable there's little point in continuing to
try to get it working, since using the system will also most likely cause
frequent crashes.

Could this be due to bad hardware? Are you overclocking the machine,
using nonstandard batteries or anything else unusual?

> Is there a way that I can "apt-get --print-uris" and "dpkg -i *.deb" into
> the mounted card on the PC  ?  For this I would need to tell apt on the
> PC to get the arm packages instead of i386, and also use the debian database
> that is on the mounted card for calculating dependencies.  Should I try to
> use the chroot-debian framework and try to adapt them to my scenario ?

It's possible, for example both the standard Debian "debootstrap" and my
independently developed "chroot-debian" (which I use to make the install
tarballs) handle this.

> About using NFS to install stuff on the card -- does accessing the card via NFS
> not crash it when many files are accessed in a row ?

I think this was meant the other way around, the handheld is the NFS
client, and mounts the debroot directory from a NFS server on the
network. That way, you don't even need an SD card. But of course you can
only use the system while connected to the network.

> The reason I am being so meticulous about the correct procedure, is because
> after the Zaurus crashes, it can't fix the disk correctly -- some important
> files needed for booting are lost, and I have to reinitialise the SD card.
> Such severe damage hasn't happened for the 128Mb card, but does for the 512 SD
> card.

See above, unless you can get it working at least reasonably stably, you
won't be able to really use the system even if you manage to get all the
files onto the card.

-Klaus