Problem with xmaxima

I'm totally new to this list, so I apologize if I say/write some "stupid" thing. I've tried to run "xmaxima" with Klaus-Debian on my SL-6000. The package installs o.k. and the nice screen appears quickly, but... Nothing can be done as there is a systematic message of error and it seems that the graphic part begins before the computational one, pure maxima, is charged.
Anyone knows about that problem?
Thank you and my best regards to everybody in this list.

Santiago Muelas