Re: Is there some kind of full duplex wireless software...

On Aug 27, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Day Brown wrote:

I thot it wuz obvious in the phrase, 'difficult terrain' and other points in my postings, that I *DO NOT* have line of sight. I live in the Ozarks, have been poking into this for a while. There is an outfit that offers hi-speed wireless, but it is using 900mhz transmitters, which wont even penetrate the canopy, much less get down into any of the hollows. 802 and *all* of the other commercially available wireless network equipment is useless. People cant even get UHF TV unless they live on a ridgetop.

You're still missing my point. RF doesn't "change rules" when you switch to spread spectrum or any other emission standard.

If 900MHz commercial gear from a professional company with towers and high sites won't "get through the canopy" nothing you can come up with that will plug into a sound card will, surely. Unless you're running more power than they are, and I assume from your notes that you're attempting this with off-the-shelf gear and you don't have RF power amplifier design experience nor the gear to properly test one. (Let alone the legalities.)

For high speed data, since you need higher frequencies to lower the RF bandwidth requirements, the fix is to put up a tower - ABOVE the canopy. The fix for not having line of sight at VHF and above is to figure out how to GET line of sight.

Your choice of frequency dictates how wide in frequency your signal needs to be for a given data rate.

All I wanted to know was, how to interface the analogue signal. It seemed evident that the capablilities of the sound card was already there to do that, and work with the kind of bandwidth that standard FM stereo transmitter designs already know how to produce. If anyone here knew of software to do that, I think we would have heard of it by now.

Interface the analogue signal to what? That's the part I've been asking... you mentioned a "chip". Okay, let's just say this magical chip exists that happens to take in any signal you give it an beautifully put it out into the electromagnetic world of RF. What's your data speed requirement? 1 Mb/s? 2? 10? 100?

If anyone does have a clue, I'm sure they'll send me something off list, so I'll unsub and quit bothering you.

I think a lot of people here have a clue and have been doing RF design of systems to transmit data for decades. They're probably hanging back and letting this conversation go on wondering if enough information will emerge to offer you any help. In fact, I bet there's a bunch of people who, presented a terrain map, the locations of the commercial wireless 900MHz guy's tower, and about ten minutes could define two or three good ways to get your Internet service delivered to your "difficult" location. Or they could tell you "it can't be done without a hop-point somehere over *here* on this map".

No matter what way you cut it, it's a very rare chance that anything you could design will beat the performance of commercially available systems. If the commercial 900MHz guys can't get to you, nothing you can build is going to fix that. Time better spent would be fixing the line of sight problem by either getting the antennas up out of the trees, or figuring out a multiple-hop path where you could "shoot" to somewhere that CAN see the 900 MHz commercial guys. You probably still need to get above the trees for that!

There's whole bunches of very good software packages out there (mostly commercial, but one free one) that do RF path prediction that are very accurate. From your first messages about frequency, you're obviously GUESSING. There's no need to do that.

Ask the 900 MHz guys for a prediction plot for your location and then figure out how to augment your setup to reach them. (Think in terms of a business opportunity too. If you put up a tower that gets you above the canopy to "see" their feed site, can they then use your tower to extend their coverage to your entire neighborhood? If so... perhaps you can work out a deal for free Internet, just for the cost of a small tower in the trees in your backyard. Heck, can you put the antennas IN the trees?)

What I'm saying (and have been saying all along) is that YES! there definitely IS a way to get you Internet service in the boonies, but you're going about it the REALLY REALLY HARD WAY if you're designing RF gear.

Back up 1000' and look at it from a different perspective.

A PC and magic "chip" are probably not the cheapest and most reliable answer. RF engineering using well-known math for the given requirements is.

Trust me, you're not bothering me at all -- I'm just trying to help you get from "voodoo engineering" to something that will actually WORK and is practical. ;-)

--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com