Re: Is there some kind of full duplex wireless software...

I'm at a loss to explain the things you're mixing up here. Phrases like "data stream on the bus" show a very distinct lack of education on the difference between a bus and the software interface TO the bus.

I think you're attempting to design something that already exists. If I read your message correctly, all you want to do is extend a data network from a place where wired high speed access is available to somewhere it's not. This is commonly called "last mile" data network engineering.

If you have line-of-sight between those two locations, there's probably at least ten ways to do it... some legal, some illegal, all with existing off-the-shelf products. No design work necessary.

At the low end, there's unlicensed 802.11b equipment and external antennas -- which becomes illegal beyond a certain antenna size or power level for unlicensed operation.

At the high end, there's nice commercial microwave gear.

And there's a lot of stuff in between.

Building your own spread spectrum radio devices from scratch is - well, commendable I guess if you really want to spend a few years figuring it out. However, if the ultimate goal is just to get from point A to point B with an RF signal carrying data, hundreds of people have already figured it out for you and there are plenty of commercial products to do the job. Focus on those and you'll be done a lot quicker.

Your comments about "dealing with spam over a 9600 baud link" are also non-sensical -- I can telnet to a machine over a 9600 baud link where the far-end machine has a high speed connection and easily "manage" spam with a command-line based mail program, just as fast as if I were on that machine's physical console.

Sometimes you just have to think different. Step back, define what you're trying to ultimately do... "I want to get high speed Internet access from my buddy's house in the valley to my house up on the ridgeline for a total cost no greater than $200. Can this be done?" -- would have been a better question than the rambling mishmash of technology and goals in the preceeding two posts.
If I got the question right... at least two possible answers are above.  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com - WY0X

Day Brown wrote:

Nate Duehr wrote:

There are plenty of applications that can take an audio input through a soundcard and digitize it and send it to another PC to be turned back into audio. "Full-duplex" would just mean that you're doing that both directions.

That's kewl, but I didnt wanna turn it back into audio, but use it as a data stream to... Mozilla. so- when it is digitized, its I spose, 8 or 16 bit, such as I've seen SB cards for years. But then is that 8bits, 1 byte/millisecond, or what? What would be the DTR of the sound card?

Your comments about frequencies don't apply to a PC or software. For that you probably need a device called... wait for it... a radio!

Well, yeah, but I've seen a chip that says it can respond to commands out the com port to set the RF frequency. That way, I could use lower range VHF to a PC terminal in town, (10km away over impossible terrain) to get ADSL on my desktop in the boonies. Out beyond the urban fringe, there's lotsa dead air, and if the com port software to provide spread spectrum, it wouldnt interfere with any of the local commercial broadcasts, and nobody would even know I was narrowcasting.

There's no way to cope with spam using 9600 baud packet. I dont need that kind of range anyway. Let the hams keep the bandwidth.

But if the software aint out there to take a stereo audio I/O at the sound card, and convert that to a data stream on the PCI bus, I'll havta go to the debian programers to see if they can advise me.