Re: Meta-gnome3 dependency on xul-ext-adblock-plus (Bug #689858)

Dear all,

while I now understand the rationale for the dependency on adblock plus, recent media reports on the company behind this extension give rise for real concern. If you read German, please consider reading the following recent articles:

http://wissen.dradio.de/adblock-plus-mafia-verhalten-im-werbenetzwerk.33.de.html?dram:article_id=251092

http://www.mobilegeeks.de/adblock-plus-undercover-einblicke-in-ein-mafioeses-werbenetzwerk/

and

https://netzpolitik.org/2013/adblock-plus-ein-produkt-der-werbeindustrie/

It appears that Eyeo GmbH, company based in Cologne (Köln), Germany with 15 employess, which is developing the extension is itself deeply invested in the advertisement industry which suggests a massive conflict of interest.

A usable alternative is the fork "Adblock Edge"

The company has of course rejected all allegations, see http://meedia.de/internet/adblock-plus-ein-mafioeses-werbenetzwerk/2013/06/26.html

Thanks,

Johannes