Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:30:50PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > though. At LinuxTag, sven told me that udev and gnome-volume-manager would be
> > > the way to go, but the volume manager thingy cares only about CDs and such,
> > > but not about usb sticks, so this failed also.
> >
> > g-v-m has a "Removable storage" place, I think it handles usb sticks
> > (anybody to confirm ?)
>
> I can confirm, that as of june 26 or something such (during Linuxtag) where i
> tested this in the gnome booth on my ibook, it didn't work (and apparently
> there was some kernel OOPS when parts of g-v-m was started, i had no time to
> really investigate this though). Probably was never tested on non-x86.

Well, I told you to file a bug about the oops in HAL. Regarding the USB
stick support, I also told you that it needs /etc/fstab support which
has not been finalized. There is a script you can use in the hal package
AFAIK, but it is not used by default. The hal and the
gnome-volume-maintainer are aware of the sitution and I am quite
confident that things are hashed out until Sarge releases.

Anyway, this is not a good example to point at, as GNOME upstream has
only recently started to care about this and Debian never cared about
this until now.

Having USB sticks mounted automatically sounds like a task for the
kernel maintainers to me (GNOME should just acknowledge it and react).
Nevertheless the GNOME/Freedesktop.org people finally did the work for
us, so we should be grateful and not complain about the quality of the
packages, IMHO.

Michael