Re: usb sticks and gnome

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 07:43:01PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:31:15PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > In article <2jFB5-1PW-15@gated-at.bofh.it>, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > > I had done a hack, which fills in the right stuff in /etc/fstab so it
> > > shows up in gnome, and some hotplug scripts to auto mount/umount it. Not
> > > perfect though. At LinuxTag, sven told me that udev and
> > > gnome-volume-manager would be the way to go, but the volume manager
> > > thingy cares only about CDs and such, but not about usb sticks, so this
> > > failed also.
> >
> > I don't know where you got that idea from. g-v-m handles usb sticks fine.
>
> Have you tried on powerpc ? I think i remember now that maybe the diagnostic
> was some parts of it OOPSing, and thus not working as it should.

I know several people who are using g-v-m/hal/udev on a powerbook without any
problems (myself included). Now a few months back there was a bug
report against hal that apparently the kernel oopsed when starting X with hal
running on an older ppc machine. But according to the reporter it was
unreproducable sometime later, probably because of a kernel or X upgrade.

> And does it also make an icon appear on the desktop ?

Nautilus itself does that for you when the a volume is mounted.

  Sjoerd
--
Remember Darwin; building a better mousetrap merely results in smarter mice.