Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:02:21PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> On lun, 2004-07-19 at 14:36 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Well, i was under the understanding that it was gnome-session's fault, for
> > launching esd, but not killing it once it exists the session.
>
> According to this bug report:
>
> "had the very same problem with esound: I enabled auto spawn in esound
> (/etc/esound/esd.conf; auto_spawn=1) and it just works as expected :-)"
>
> So apparently a problem with esound default's configuration ...

Oh, nice. does it also work if the next user choses a KDE session ? Will test
it.

> > though. At LinuxTag, sven told me that udev and gnome-volume-manager would be
> > the way to go, but the volume manager thingy cares only about CDs and such,
> > but not about usb sticks, so this failed also.
>
> g-v-m has a "Removable storage" place, I think it handles usb sticks
> (anybody to confirm ?)

I can confirm, that as of june 26 or something such (during Linuxtag) where i
tested this in the gnome booth on my ibook, it didn't work (and apparently
there was some kernel OOPS when parts of g-v-m was started, i had no time to
really investigate this though). Probably was never tested on non-x86.

But you will hear from me on both these issues later.

> > Well, i want to know what you think about it, as main gnome maintainer or so,
> > to know if i will be saddled with upstreams decision, if you plan to do
> > something about it, or not, if it makes sense proposing solutions or even
> > patches, or if it is just lost time, or if it would be best to propose a
> > forked set of packages with reasonable behavior.
>
> Let's calm down. We have no time/interest to fork the file selector.
> First we should continue to discuss upstream in 136541 to fix the issue.

Ok, cool. But that was not the reply i was getting about this earlier.

> > Well, this is what Jeff and co said here, didn't they ?
>
> I don't know, I've just got half of the thread in my box and read it
> quickly. BTW you should not juge on what some guys said but rather have
> a look on what most of GNOME Team guys are doing (ie: in the BTS,
> bugzilla, list, ...). And since you probably don't have time to loose in
> the BTS just for that, let me say it: we communicate with upstreams
> (bugzilla, lists, ...) and try to work with them to solve the problems.

Cool, that is actually the only thing i wanted to know. I guess you where all
in holiday or something such.

Friendly,

Sven Luther