Re: xterm colors / sawfish fonts

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:55:53AM +0200, JG said:
> Actually, since the per user solution is so easy, a simple note in the
> lines of
>
> "New in GNOME 2.4:
> GNOME now sets X resources for non-GNOME applications to follow the
> same look and feel of GNOME as far as possible. The default Xresources
> files are located at /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb . Files in
> ~/.gnome2/xrdb/ directory override the default Xresources on a per-user
> basis."
>
> somewhere in the documentation (be it README.Debian, or somewhere else)
> should be sufficient. If it is already there, please forgive my
> ignorance (and I would appreaciate a pointer to it).

It may be easy, but it's still non-intuitive. It's changing the default
behavior for apps outside the package (gnome's) scope. This forces users
to figure out what happened. Why would you expect users to look in the
Gnome readme to figure out what happened to xterm? Do you read every
readme for every package? If anything, it would be a better idea to
include a note in EVERY non-gnome X app that says that gnome might screw
with its behavior (of course this is a silly idea IMHO...)

This is why I strongly feel that this "feature" should be disabled by
default (don't install the files, or have the contents commented out.)