Re: xterm colors / sawfish fonts

Hi again,

Sorry for replying to myself, but I did not test the thing before ...

JG <j2003gi@yahoo.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> writes:
>
> > > I just commented out all the text in the files at
> > > /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/
> > > (a "!" at the begining of each line), and my applications recovered
> > > their old look. Unfortunatelly this change will be lost at next upgrade,
> > > since they are not conffiles.
> >
> > I just posted a cleaner per-user solution, which may be more suitable.
> >

> I just saw it, and was going to tank you.
[...]

The per-user solution is Ok to add (or modify) Xresources, but not to
remove Xresources. It seems (to me, see below), that the resources in
~/.gnome2/xrdb/ are merged (presumably) after the ones in
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/ (similarly to xrdbmerge). Therefore
if a property is set in the system wide file, but not in the user file,
the property in /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/ is kept.

I arrived at the above conclusion by the following: I created
~/.gnome2/xrdb/ with files from /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/
These files were empty (or commented out), but the X applications
followed the Xresources in /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/ .

I checked that ~/.gnome2/xrdb/ is being read by emptying the files in
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/  and setting Xresources from
~/.gnome2/xrdb/ , which shows my X applications are using the Xresources
set up there.

If this is not the intended behaviour, I can help to troubleshoot it.

Best regards,

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.