xterm colors / sawfish fonts

Did the upgrade to Gnome 2.4 and am seeing some bizarre behavior.

First, xterm is behaving strangly with regards to colors.

In my .xinitrc I have:
xterm&
exec gnome-session

Xterm starts first with a pure white background. Every subsequent xterm
starts with a light gray background. Why? Also, if I ssh into another
box it resets my white background as gray - Doesn't matter what the box
is - could be Deb woody, Redhat, Solaris, etc. My bright-white is gone
from the first xterm....

Second problem is with fonts. In the sawfish configurator, the default
font is "fixed". No matter what I try and change it to, it brings up 2
dialog boxes, the first dialog claims "while changing default-font:
Error: unknown font, -*-whateverfontname-*-yaddapointsize-*-*..." and
the second dilog is "while changing default-font: Error: unknown font,
-*-*-*-*-*....." (replace the whatever / yada with the real names /
sizes of the font selected...)

Note that fonts work great in apps like galeon, the font selector
preview in sawfish configurator, etc. Just can't choose them.