Re: So what do the Debian Gnome maintainers say?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 15:40:51 +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <fsmla@xinara.org> writes:
> > And if you need to work on packages for sid, sarge or woody on the same
> > system, there's pbuilder.
>
> More worse, You upload packages in unstable without any test like the
> basic one, an installation.

Packages can be installed in a chroot just fine; X packages can be tested
using xnest just fine. I'm speaking from experience here: several gnumeric
1.0 upstream tarballs where produced and tested this way.

And besides, testing by the package maintainer only points out the most
basic mistakes; the massive parallelism you get from tests by users is much
more efficient for all but the most trivial bugs. And our non-x86 users seem
to be doing just fine with package builds that seldomly were tested by a
maintainer install before being introduced into the archive.

Ray
--
I think the most important thing about Linux is that it gives people the
ability to do what they want.