Re: So what do the Debian Gnome maintainers say?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:33:00PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> >> For now I don't intent to package GNOME 2.4 for unstable because we
> >> have a broken 2.2 in testing and I don't intent to upload my GNOME 2.4
> >> package to experimental because, I don't use experimental and I don't
> >> intent to use experimental.
> >
> > So sarge will ship with 2.2 ?
>
> No, but we need to be sure to have a working GNOME 2.x in sarge, this is
> not the case.

What are the remaining problems, apart from the glibc issue ? Are there
still serious problems, RC bugs, or build problems ? From what i have
seen on this list a few mails past, there were not much.

As such your concern could be fixed by doing uploads to
testing-proposed-updates, with the RM approval naturally, and have a
working gnome 2.2 in sarge by this way. I have done and received the
RM's approval for ocaml 3.06-17sarge1, which is a rebuild for sarge of
ocaml 3.06-21 which will dissapear in limbo as soon as upstream releases
3.07, and i upload the packages. Sure Gnome 2.2 is more complex than
ocaml, but the same principle does apply.

Then you can upload 2.4 into sid without problem of loosing the stuff in
sarge, and use experimental to start packaging 2.5.

(Note, i understand this is a lot of work, and if you don't feel like it
because of that, ok, but at least consider it).

Friendly,

Sven Luther