Re: So what do the Debian Gnome maintainers say?

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 09:15, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 15:06, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 03:02:32PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> > > For now I don't intent to package GNOME 2.4 for unstable because we
> > > have a broken 2.2 in testing and I don't intent to upload my GNOME 2.4
> > > package to experimental because, I don't use experimental and I don't
> > > intent to use experimental.
> >
> > Yay, excellent news!
>
> I hope you're being ironic, this sounds like the worst plan so far to
> me. Work on 2.4 should start somewhere ASAP.

Though I am not one of the 'Debian Gnome Maintainers', I think we need
to be very careful with sarge, and appreciate Christian's conservatism.
Sarge needs to get released with a usable gnome.  From my understanding
(which may be wrong), it is almost there (after glibc/gcc, its just a
few packages).  I don't know what the RM would have to say about it, but
an unusable gnome seems like something that would delay the release date
and that needs to be avoided.  Pushing untested gnome2.4 into sid is
gambling with sarge's future.

Yes it would be nice to have gnome2.4 soon, but if Christian doesn't
want to maintain yet another (large) set of packages for experimental, I
don't blame him.  As a side benefit, if it takes a while, then some of
the 2.4.0 issues will get resolved in the meantime, making 2.4 more
usable when its time to put in sid.

My 2 cents,

Jamie Strandboge

--