Re: new file open dialog

<quote who="Christopher Taylor">

> It is true that these buttons do make it easier for the average user.
> However, if a power user doesn't want to have those buttons, that does not
> mean that they should "run another desktop environment". That's like
> throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

This makes sense.

> Instead, provide interfaces that are configurable. Make the buttons
> optional and provide a means of activating/deactivating

This does not.

Why would you make basic elements of a file selector optional at all? Why
bother? You're just going to drown in micro management with those kinds of
options. Do the right thing. Make it "just work". There should be no user
incentive to micro manage the user interface.

Regardless of all of that, this is a FAST HACK, and shouldn't be given so
much attention. With GTK+ 2.4 (and GNOME 2.6), we'll have a well architected
file selector (UI and API) that will be good enough to actually criticise.

:-)

- Jeff

--
Get Informed: SCO vs. IBM                            http://sco.iwethey.org/

      "Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly." - Robert Doisneau