Re: new file open dialog

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 05:35, Eloy A. Paris wrote:
> > peloy@chapus.net (Eloy A. Paris) writes:
> >> Ahhh, the pleasure of having useful buttons in the file selector
> >> dialog... home, desktop, documents. What else one can ask for? :)
> >
> > Actually those giant buttons seem like a waste of space -- home is
> > arguably useful, but `desktop' and `documents'?  Who on earth puts
> > anything there (I don't even _have_ a `documents' directory)?!?
>
> I personally think these buttons makes Linux a lot easier to use for the
> average user, Moms and grandmoms. If Linux is to reach to these users I
> think this has to be done. The important thing is that we have options:
> if I don't like what I see I can always run another desktop
> environmnent, or just don't use one at all :)

It is true that these buttons do make it easier for the average user.
However, if a power user doesn't want to have those buttons, that does
not mean that they should "run another desktop environment". That's like
throwing the baby out with the bathwater... Instead, provide interfaces
that are configurable. Make the buttons optional and provide a means of
activating/deactivating