Re: GNOME 2 in unstable announcement

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:36:39AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Stop kidding ! Look at the user reactions we had on this list, most
> unstable users are happy with G2D. It's only Jeff Waugh who keeps
> annoying us by announcing the end of the world once G2D is in unstable.

No, the ORBit maintainer (that's me) also went off the deep end and
screamed at poor Hoserhead (for which I'd like to apologize now) for the
same thing.  And several other people have chimed in here and there to
complain and beg and pray for ongoing G1D support, at least during the
transition.  And the vast majority of Debian Developers probably
don't read this list.  It's NOT just Jeff Waugh.  He's just the tip of
an iceberg of pissed-off or about-to-be-pissed off people.  (And yes,
I'm still pissed off, but I realize that Joe was not an appropriate
target for my anger.)

> There's no way we're going to complicate our life with twice the
> packages in unstable (asking for a lot of work from the ftpmasters
> BTW).

There have been dozens of offers to help, all of these have been
rejected.  If you're rejecting offers of help, you better NOT complain
about how it's too much work!

> I agree that announcing the plan on -devel-announce is a good idea so
> that users  who absolutely wants G1.4 can switch to sarge right now.

I'm a Debian Developer; I can't switch to sarge!  I've got packages to
maintain!

> They won't go nuts.

I already did, and I'm on the edge of doing it again.  This sort of
abrupt cut-off, sink-or-swim approach is exactly what I hated about
other distributions.  The fact that Debian normally takes the time to
make these transitions work smoothly is what I love about the project
and the system and why I'm so angry about this lame "plan" of yours.
I think Debian has standards to uphold, and I think the current
transition plan is not up to Debian standards.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single