Re: GNOME-2 transition: necessary?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 11:18:51PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:36:42PM +0100, Bastien Nocera écrivait:
> > > Then people can't upgrade from sawfish to the new sawfish name.
> >
> > But when they're going to switch from gnome1 to gnome2 they'd probably
> > use some task package, which would take care of that. And if they
>
> No they won't. Packages should be updated/upgraded when they
> apt-get dist-upgrade, they should'nt have to install a specific package
> to get Gnome 2.

What you describe is the case for most packages.  But there are
exceptions.  Off the top of my head I can think of: automake, apache,
gcc, fvwm, emacs and xemacs.  All have more than one version in Debian.

The reason for supporting multiple variants is slightly different in
each case.  In my view, the common theme is that forcing a single
version into the archive would cause pain either to the archive itself
(e.g. gcc, automake) or to a large number of users.  I submit that the
GNOME 1->2 transition falls in the second category.

It is reasonable, therefore, to make available both G1 and G2
packages.

-S