Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 20:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Yeah, but we *are* running unstable. :)
>
> That's a shithouse excuse for mindlessly pissing your users and maintainers
> (who will be receiving the bug reports) off. Giving them a choice is one
> thing [1], painting them into a corner is quite different.

Hell no. They have a choice. If they choose stable or testing then
they'll get the old, stable, tested GNOME. If they choose unstable (as I
have chosen) then they'll get the latest thing. Unstable users are used
to stuff like perl and libc breaking. If themes don't have as convenient
or consistent a UI for a little while they'll deal with it.

Unstable really is unstable a lot of the time. I've buggered my system
up by apt-get upgrading at the wrong time and had to manually fix
things. I had none of these problems upgrading to gnome2 from
experimental.

Ian

DISCLAIMER: I've been using Debian since you were in nappies and and at
times have hacked on GNOME for a living - so I guess I'm not your
average user.