Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

<quote who="Joe Drew">

> I think a limited *2 policy should be implemented: in addition to the
> libraries and such where it's required, the base GNOME libs - i.e., the
> ones whose functionality cannot be done without for a user's desktop to be
> considered "GNOME" (like the panel, and nautilus, and such) - in
> particular those which are interdependent at runtime (and I'm not sure of
> the extent of these dependencies) - should use the *2 postfix for the
> first while. Simple applications, which are not materially different from
> the previous version and/or have clear benefit to a new version which few
> users will complain about should just go straight to the GNOME 2 version.

It's completely irrelevant for libraries, as they are parallel installable.

It *sounds* irrelevant for applications, but there are serious integration
and migration issues between GNOME 1.x and 2.x global configurations.

Basically:

  G2DP packages should just go straight in, no holds barred.

  G2D packages *and* G2 apps would be better off with *2 packages until the
  transition period and migration issues are over. Users can choose the most
  appropriate for their desktop choice, and suffer no ill effects from the
  lack of migration work.

Example: If you replace G1 fileroller with G2 fileroller, you're going to
have problems with themes, UI configuration prefs like toolbars and icons,
nautilus, etc.

It's worth it for your users, and your sanity. Bug reports due to moving
Debian wholesale to GNOME 2 before the migration issues are solved in a user
friendly manner are going to PISS YOU OFF.

- Jeff

--
    You know a French woman is faking it when she screams, "I would like
                     the table near the window please!"