Re: Gnome 2 summary 27/06/2002

And now, to send this to the list instead of just to Jeff..

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 23:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Yeah, but we *are* running unstable. :)
>
> That's a shithouse excuse for mindlessly pissing your users and maintainers
> (who will be receiving the bug reports) off. Giving them a choice is one
> thing, painting them into a corner is quite different.

As one of the maintainers who will be receiving the bug reports (albeit
the minor ones which really don't address any major issues), I say:
bring it on.

For users, on the other hand, I concur with your assessment. However, it
still remains to be seen what the consensus will be. With gnome-terminal
v2 being installed last dinstall run, maybe we will lean towards just
installing gnome 2 and being done with it. Upgrading troubles are
nothing new to unstable - I know this intimately, having had my GNOME
configuration hosed repeatedly with libdb upgrades and other fun things.
This is of a somewhat larger scale, though, and so I think I'd like to
solicit other people's opinions, hopefully those who will be responsible
for the core GNOME applications in debian in the future.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

Please encrypt email sent to me.