Re: Gnome 2 summary 05/06/2002

<quote who="Andrew McMillan">

> Well, maybe.  One of the problems is perhaps that long-time Unix/Linux
> users are _used_ to the breadth of configurability you can get from WMs
> under X.

But... "Why?" - mostly because they're also used to things working in
strange and non-standard ways. Window managers have been stuck with the
responsibility for dealing with this for ages.

In the end, no one really cares about configurability [1], just about stuff
working right. Note that user preferences, such as colours and themes are
largely orthogonal to "stuff working right".

> Sawfish has a number of extreme features, but that's definitely why I use
> it.

Cool, keep using it! It's still there for everyone who wants it, and it's
still the default for the 2.0 release.

- Jeff

[1] Except for those who do not have better things to do with their
computers.

--
   "The plural of lego is legouch, from when you tread on those plural on
                  the floor in bare feet." - Telsa Gwynne