Re: Gnome 2 summary 05/06/2002

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 06:05, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ross Burton">
>
> > Matched windows are a bummer in Metacity at the moment, Havoc I believe
> > has said they are 'crack' but I'm sure if enough pester him he'll either
> > add them or come up with an alternative solution.
>
> To a great extent, matched windows are a WM-level hack for badly behaving
> applications. And Havoc is right - the applications should be fixed, rather
> than adding crackrock stuff to the window manager.

I read my mail full-screen in Evolution (matched window to set workspace
4), when I click on a URL ot open a browser window it opens on workspace
3 - another matched window for Mozilla.

This means that I can read all my mail, and then go and read the URL's
they referenced (if I want to), rather than having browser windows
opening in my face and me having to switch back to the other window.

Why is Mozilla a 'badly behaved application', in that I can't specify
the workspace that I want all of my Mozilla windows to open on?

For things that fail to reopen on the previous workspace when you start
your session then yes we have badly behaved applications.  But lots of
things get opened after the session starts, and matched windows can
still apply.

Rather than calling them a 'hack' I think of them as quite an elegant
solution to several problems with clutter.

And, of course, we can't always arrange for badly-behaved applications
to be fixed, either, and it provides a nice workaround.

Regards,
					Andrew.