Re: RFS/package review

Hi Jonas,

On 6/9/21 2:39 PM, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Peymaneh Nejad wrote:
>>> If you are using sbuild, you can build locally with a --extra-package
>>> option

>>> Consider doing similar changes for this one (with d/experimental branch along with a mail to
>>> maintainer) as I suggested to do it for
>>> golang-github-masterminds-semver-dev in my other mail
>>
>> Okay.
>
> Quick comment here: wouldn't it be more straight-forward to simply ping the maintainer(s) of the packages in question first and ask for permission to upload a newer upstream release? That way, an extra upload to experimental could be avoided.

By "upload a newer upstream release" do you mean an "upload to unstable"?

If that is what you mean, then:

Sure, but at the moment we are in deep freeze so new versions of existing packages should be avoided right?
Upload from 1.3.1 -> 2.0.6 is a major bump.
I'd want to avoid such changes at the moment.

One option is that we upload to unstable and it gets blocked by the freeze team,
but suppose some package depending on golang-github-klauspost-cpuid has a bug, and new upload is done for it,
it'll rebuild with new version of klauspost-cpuid. Something similar happened in the med-team with orthanc package recently, and it
became a bit of a mess to fix it.

Other option is we wait until freeze gets over, and then upload this package but it has two problems:
a) It'll keep stalling progress a little, and make it harder to build dependencies because we will have to keep doing --extra-package thingy
b) Tentative release date is July 25, and by then a significant portion of Peymaneh's GSoC period will be over.

What do you think?

If "Uploading to unstable" isn't what you mean, I admit I'm not sure what the suggestion is, mind elucidating?