Re: RFS/package review

On 09/06/21 06:28 AM, Peymaneh Nejad wrote:
> I have pushed another package to salsa I believe would be ready for review
> and upload:
> https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-caddyserver-certmagic
>
> Regarding the copyright file I am not certain. There is two files in the
> source code (dnsutil.go and dnsutil_test.go) that contain the following
> text:
>
> // Code in this file adapted from go-acme/lego, July 2020:
> // https://github.com/go-acme/lego
> // by Ludovic Fernandez and Dominik Menke
>
> The adapted code is licensed MIT. As of my understanding, because the code
> was modified since, the original authors do not need to be included in
> debian/copyright

That is the case if it is a complete re-write or the code is a fork for
instance, and is re-licensable.
In this case, I see some functions being verbatim copies of source code,
for example see this[1] and see here in go-acme/lego[2]
Similar for test file, see this[3] and this[4]

In such a state, I think it has to be mentioned in d/copyright with a "Comment:"
field stating that some code is verbatim copy

> What I am uncertain of is what license applies for the files. MIT says:
> "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
> all copies or substantial portions of the Software."
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Sounds to me as if MIT still applies for those two files, even though the
> rest of the source code is licensed Apache 2.

No, both the licenses apply to this file, I think. Some code is entirely
different, and some of it is copies. It makes sense to include all
licenses.
You need to specify
"License:" as "MIT and Apache-2"
As an example, see here[5]

> It has some unsatisfied dependencies:

If you are using sbuild, you can build locally with a --extra-package
option

> It depends on a newer version of golang-github-klauspost-cpuid-dev than is
> in the repos. I did a fork of the package
> (https://salsa.debian.org/peymaneh/golang-github-klauspost-cpuid) for
> testing until the issue is resolved
> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=989624)
> Changelogs have set distribution=experimental.

Consider doing similar changes for this one (with d/experimental branch along with a mail to
maintainer) as I suggested to do it for
golang-github-masterminds-semver-dev in my other mail

> It also depends on github.com/mholt/acmez, which has been packaged but is in
> new queue[3] still:
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/golang-github-mholt-acmez_0.1.3-1.html

Again, you can build this locally and pass --extra-package option with
sbuild to get your target building. The source of this package is on
salsa itself[6]

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-caddyserver-certmagic/-/blob/debian/sid/dnsutil.go#L65
[2]: https://github.com/go-acme/lego/blob/master/challenge/dns01/nameserver.go#L172
[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/go-team/packages/golang-github-caddyserver-certmagic/-/blob/debian/sid/dnsutil_test.go#L224