Re: osm-tile-server

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 08:53:56AM +0100, Ruben Undheim wrote:
>  git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-grass/osm-tile-server.git

I just committed some changes, mostly just made the spacing consistent.

I saw you hardcoded the Geofabrik download server in there including a list of
all regions it has extracts for. That isn't a good idea, because this might
change at any time. There is a way to get a list of all regions currently
existing automatically. Please talk to Frederik Ramm at Geofabrik to get
access to this (frederik@geofabrik.de). You can also talk with him about
attributing Geofabrik properly somewhere.

I don't have the time at the moment to really try it out, but just from a
quick look at the scripts: You are offering the user a choice on installation
whether they want download immediately or later. I would remove that choice
and always do download later. Less choice makes things easier for users.

User should probably be encouraged to try things out with a very small extract
first, before trying something larger.

What about diff updates?

Do you help users to actually see the results of installing the tile server?
Often users have to tile-server but don't realize they need a HTML page with
Leaflet or OpenLayers, too, to actually see those tiles. Maybe at least some
HTML/Javascript file somewhere they can point their local browser at, so
they have a starting point.

debian/man/osm-tile-server.txt: You talk about "rendering engines" here.
I'd always thought of "Mapnik" being the rendering engine and tilelite or
mod_tile being the server that calls the rendering engine? Not sure about
the best terminology here.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688