[DebianGIS] Re: gdal package names?

[Silke Reimer]
> No. I mean, that libgdal1 should be renamed to libgdal2 when the
> soname changes the next one will be libgdal3 etc.  Thus having
> libgdal1-dev and libgdal1 and (for version 1.3.1 of gdal) libgdal2
> and libgdal2-dev etc.

Right.  Did you follow the discussion about the lack of C++ ABI
stability in gdal?  C++ programs linked with version 1.3.1 of gdal is
not garanteed to work with version 1.3.2 of gdal, even though the
soname stay the same.  To avoid breaking installed packages, we thus
need to make sure the library package changes name with every new
upstream release of gdal.

But as far as I know, the API should be backward compatible, so it
should be safe to have a libgdal-dev package without version numbers
in them, to make it easier to rebuild packages build-depending on
gdal.