Re: [DebianGIS] Re: gdal package names?

Hi Petter,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:14:52PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Silke Reimer]
> > No. I mean, that libgdal1 should be renamed to libgdal2 when the
> > soname changes the next one will be libgdal3 etc.  Thus having
> > libgdal1-dev and libgdal1 and (for version 1.3.1 of gdal) libgdal2
> > and libgdal2-dev etc.
>
> Right.  Did you follow the discussion about the lack of C++ ABI
> stability in gdal?  C++ programs linked with version 1.3.1 of gdal is
> not garanteed to work with version 1.3.2 of gdal, even though the
> soname stay the same.  To avoid breaking installed packages, we thus
> need to make sure the library package changes name with every new
> upstream release of gdal.

Yes, I followed the discussion. In my opinion: If there is some part
of the whole library (in this case the part that is C++ which seems
not to be easily seperable from the C-part) which is not fully
compatible to the old version the soname *should* change. And your are
right: The package name has to reflect that (I made a proposition to
that in my last email.