Re: [DebianGIS] gdal package names?

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:47:55PM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:

> > > Sigh, you mean libgdal1-1.3.1 and libgdal1-1.3.1-dev as package name, I
> > > suppose...
> >
> > No. I mean, that libgdal1 should be renamed to libgdal2 when the
> > soname changes the next one will be libgdal3 etc.  Thus having
> > libgdal1-dev and libgdal1 and (for version 1.3.1 of gdal) libgdal2 and
> > libgdal2-dev etc.
> >

> That was clear. It's what appears after the first hyphen in your
> previous mail (and CVS) which is a bit weird. I mean:
>
> The package _names_ will be libgdal1-1.3.1 and libgdal1-1.3.1-dev,
> the versions will be 1.3.1-1 for both them. You (and CVS) proposed
> libgdal1-dev-1.3.1-1 and libgdal1-1.3.1-1 which is a bit confused
> even for the versions after the 3rd hyphen (and the first one also wrong
> AFAIK). Are you pointing the package names or the names+version?
> In the second case they should be
>
> libgdal1-1.3.1_1.3.1-1
> libgdal1-1.3.1-dev_1.3.1-1
>
> You proposed something like
>
> libgdal1-1.3.1-1_1.3.1-1
> libgdal1-dev-1.3.1-1_1.3.1-1
>
> which is a complete non-sense IMHO...

Yes, this is nonsense. There seems to be a misunderstanding. I never
meant to propose something like that. In my first email I was pointing
to names+version while in the second I only wrote about the name.

Once again: I don't think that we should have the version in the
package name. I would compose the package name by adding a number to
libgdal which has to change each time the API changes. This would
allow us to have different gdal-versions on the system if necessary.

We have to talk how to come to this number. I think about different
possibilities

1) Just increase the number by 1 so we had first libgdal1 and we will
   now have to change to libgdal2 etc.
2) Use the package version (I would vote against it since I hope that
   at some point we will arrive at a rather stable API and won't havt to
   change the package name just because there is a new gdal release
3) Use the soname which is not necessarily the same as the package
   version

I hope this doesn't lead to more confusion now ;-)

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/