Re: [DebianGIS] gdal package names?

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:00:40PM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:57:23AM +0100, Silke Reimer wrote:
> > I agree completely with you. I already statet on this list that I
> > wouldn't included that version in the package name. In my opinion the
> > soname is not exactly correlated to the software version - even when
> > the soname has to change each time a new gdal version is released due
> > to the not yet stable C++ ABI.
> >
> > I would suggest to add the soname to the package name and use the gdal
> > version as debian version, i.e.  libgdal<soname>-dev-1.3.1-1,
> > libgdal<soname>-1.3.1-1 etc.
> >

> Sigh, you mean libgdal1-1.3.1 and libgdal1-1.3.1-dev as package name, I
> suppose...

No. I mean, that libgdal1 should be renamed to libgdal2 when the
soname changes the next one will be libgdal3 etc.  Thus having
libgdal1-dev and libgdal1 and (for version 1.3.1 of gdal) libgdal2 and
libgdal2-dev etc.

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/