Re: [DebianGIS] gdal package names?

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 10:54:06AM +0100, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:20:23PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Hi debian-gis, Silke,
> >
> > I was looking at the gdal package in cvs, and I wonder why you have put
> > the debian version into the package names? Shouldn't it be libgdal1.3.1
> > and libgdal1.3.1-dev instead of libgdal1.3.1-1 and libgdal1.3.1-1-dev?
> > Will you really add ABI changes in debian versions, as the package names
> > suggest?
> >

> The same thing asked by me on the -devel list :)

I agree completely with you. I already statet on this list that I
wouldn't included that version in the package name. In my opinion the
soname is not exactly correlated to the software version - even when
the soname has to change each time a new gdal version is released due
to the not yet stable C++ ABI.

I would suggest to add the soname to the package name and use the gdal
version as debian version, i.e.  libgdal<soname>-dev-1.3.1-1,
libgdal<soname>-1.3.1-1 etc.

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/