Re: Need help about packaging

Am 2020-08-26 19:29, schrieb Nathan Willis:
I don't understand this; are you saying that having one source package
that builds several binary packages is wrong? I actually thought that
was common. Or do you mean it's bad to have source that builds into a
different number of output files?

Nope, that's common practise.

What I meant to say is that it may be tricky for the maintainer to set up update-alternatives to have the choice between

(1) /usr/share/fonts/otf/source-serif-vf.otf

being available and

(2) /usr/share/fonts/otf/source-serif-regular.otf
    /usr/share/fonts/otf/source-serif-bold.otf
    /usr/share/fonts/otf/source-serif-bold-italic.otf
    /usr/share/fonts/otf/source-serif-italic.otf

being available.

Just so I'm sure I understand, what would be the conflicts & provides
mapping between the "TTF version" and "OTF version" examples, assuming
that the OTF version is the default?

I guess something like this should work:

Package: fonts-source-serif-otf
Provides: fonts-source-serif
Conflicts: fonts-source-serif-ttf
Replaces: fonts-source-serif-ttf