Re: Need help about packaging

Am 2020-08-24 10:08, schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
...and it would be very sad to not provide them to our users!

Because why? What advantage do they provide compared to separate font files for each flavor?

Concretely for Source Sans Pro, I propose to release two binary packages
- one containing Source Sans Pro, and another containing Source Sans
Variable.  That should be equally fast (or slow) to get through NEW

No, please don't! Let's not start to re-introduce the pattern to install the exact same font multiple times in different formats in separate packages. I am glad we slowly got rid of the ttf-<samefont> and otf-<samefont> scheme. We cannot expect our users to know which format is best suited for them - most often we do not know either. Our goal should be to have one package for a font and once that's installed, then the font is reasonably available for the very most common use cases.

 - Fabian