Re: Need help about packaging

Quoting Fabian Greffrath (2020-08-24 09:09:01)
> Hi there,
>
> Am 2020-08-22 13:54, schrieb Widianto Nur F:
> > 1. Which one should I add to debian/install?
> > because this fonts has TTF, OTF, and WOFF/2.
>
> as you have experienced, there is no "golden rule" as to what font files
> to instal into a Debian package. However, upstream often has an educated
> opinion which font format fits best for which operating system or font
> rendering stack. It won't hurt to ask them for an advise.
>
> > 2. This font also has variable font [3], should I add to debian/install
> > too?
>
> I don't know hor far support for such font formats has come, so I
> wouldn't install it for the first revision.

Are there any known problems with variable fonts?

They are supported in [Freetype 2.8], Inkscape 1.0, [most web browsers]
(91% at the moment) including [Firefox 62].

It seems that programs _not_ supporting variable fonts will simply see
only the regular size:
https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,3723.0.html

I recommend to _include_ variable fonts unless there is known breakage.
Reason is that it is relatively easy to remove them if problems occur,
but not as easy to know when to otherwise introduce them and which would
be possible to introduce if by default we avoid them.

...and it would be very sad to not provide them to our users!

Concretely for Source Sans Pro, I propose to release two binary packages
- one containing Source Sans Pro, and another containing Source Sans
Variable.  That should be equally fast (or slow) to get through NEW
queue, eases user choice of either avoiding or prefering variable fonts,
and eases developer changes of either declaring Conflicts: or outright
remove it if later showing to be problematic.

Only if there are _already_ known severe problems do I think it is best
to avoid packaging variable fonts.

 - Jonas

[Freetype 2.8]: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freetype/files/freetype2/2.8/

[Inkscape 1.0]: https://inkscape.org/news/2020/05/04/introducing-inkscape-10/