Re: Experiments with Crush

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:31:30 +0000
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:07:11 +1100
> Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the crush core should be kept as minimal as possible.
>
> It is as minimal as possible. So far, the list of packages actually
> being cross-built is down to a handful.
>
> The point is that a package is only shortlisted for Crush if it is too
> large or too awkward in it's Grip form.
>
> All other packages that were in Crush 1.0 will be drawn directly from
> Grip into the Crush repositories and those that Grip doesn't already
> have can be easily added.

Essentially, what I'm thinking of is a new script that parses the
rmadison output (to get all architectures), reads the versions for each
arch and then calls wget to download the relevant packages (because
once we know the source package name and the version for a suite, the
path is predictable), installing all the cross-deps for all
architectures for a single package in one run. The package is then
cross-built for all architectures. The chroot is then thrown away and
the next package setup.

For these Emdebian Crush experiments, I'm suggesting:
armel, i386, amd64 {native}, mips, mipsel, powerpc.

(Can't do any others without adding those to Grip too.)

Initially building only unstable packages, once Squeeze goes into
freeze, those could be sufficiently up to date that we could have a
migration into Crush testing.

I don't see any point duplicating the Grip repository inside the Crush
repository (we're short of space as it is), so Crush might only have
these few packages and installations would need to include the Grip
repository. In reality, that isn't too much of an issue and someone
could easily create a single mirror that includes the packages from
Crush and their dependencies from Grip.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/