Platform-specific bootstrapping packages?

Guys:

Today I use debootstrap to create a basic root filesystem for a foreign
architecture, and then manually tweak the fstab and inittab files before
booting into that filesystem to run --second-stage.  That process works
fine, but I'm wondering if there's a way to eliminate that manual step
by changing or augmenting the package set that debootstrap performs the
first-stage from.

One obvious approach is to hack the main repo packages, and then
distribute them from a platform-specific repository.  That makes it
certain that the hacks won't be distributed in any other way, however,
e.g. the main Debian repositories.

Another idea is to have a platform-specific package that performs the
tweaks to fstab, inittab, etc., and then include that package in the
debootstrap first-stage step.  If that package's preinst could do
everything, then what would be left at the end of first-stage would be a
truly bootable filesystem.  Such a package could be distributed in the
main debian repositories, because it wouldn't require changes to the
main packages.

Yet another alternative is to just craft a debinst for the target. That
seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially if I want to
automate rootfs creation.

Anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions? Is there some obvious reason
why having a platform-specific package to feed through debootstrap
_wouldn't_ work?

Thanks!

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems training and consulting