Re: emacs22 Debian package?

Tatsuya Kinoshita writes:

> The points are testing the emacs22 flavor for Elisp Debian packages
> and testing the emacs22 Debian package itself.  I guess some Elisp
> Debian packages fail with emacs22 (e.g. byte-compilation fails if
> emacsen-install uses whitelist without emacs22).  emacs22 Debian
> package by Rob (emacs maintainer, not emacs-snapshot maintainer)
> will be reviewed by other developers.

If you'd like to speed up this process, it might be an idea to prepare
a mass-bug filing against Elisp packages which could be sent out after
the upload of the emacs22 package.  Any package that currently has a
dependency on emacs-snapshot should include emacs22 too.  The packages
which only depend on emacs21 | emacsen need to be reviewed.

> I've revised my proposal:
>
> * Upload emacs22 to Debian experimental ASAP.
>   - Just "experimental", to prevent the confusion of the release conditions.

It is probably not such a good idea to do this now, because that
package would install into the same directories as the latest
emacs-snapshot version.  It only becomes an option when the Emacs
version increases, i.e. a new pretest 22.0.96 is rolled.

> * Upload emacs22 to Debian unstable after 22.1 is released.
>   - Provide `emacs' metapackage by emacs22.
>   - Prefer emacs22 instead of emacs21 by Elisp packages.

I'd prefer to reverse the last two steps and only provide the `emacs'
metapackage after most Elisp packages have updated their dependencies.
But that is Rob's decision.