Re: emacs22 Debian package?

Tatsuya Kinoshita <tats@vega.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

> On March 2, 2007 at 4:54PM +0100,
> dak (at gnu.org) wrote:
>
>> > Do you really think that uploading emacs22 Debian package at the
>> > moment, testing it in Debian experimental/unstable/testing, and then
>> > including it in Debian stable release Lenny on 2008 or later, is "an
>> > excessively bad idea"?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Hmm, you make an objection to uploading Debian emacs22 package
> version 22.0.x even in Debian experimental/unstable/testing...

There is no "version 22.0.x", this is merely an internal string for
keeping track of pretests.

I consider it completely pointless to upload "emacs22" before Emacs 22
is released, since emacs-snapshot is available in unstable.

> Although I'm not yet satisfied, if your opinion is a collective
> opinion of the upstream developers, I withdraw my proposal.

My opinion is my opinion.  If you want to get the opinion of the
upstream developers as a whole, you have to ask on the Emacs developer
list which you didn't, either, before announcing your intention here
where it is more or less an accident that I happen to read it.

> Anyway, I hope that Emacs 22.1 will be released shortly.

As I said: at the current point of time it looks like first or second
quarter.  Longer than that, and the first murders among Emacs
developers would occur.  Given that you are talking about a 2008
release line, there is no incentive to create additional confusion.