Re: emacs22 Debian package?

Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> The points are testing the emacs22 flavor for Elisp Debian packages
>>> and testing the emacs22 Debian package itself.  I guess some Elisp
>>> Debian packages fail with emacs22 (e.g. byte-compilation fails if
>>> emacsen-install uses whitelist without emacs22).
>
> [...]
>
>>> * Upload emacs22 to Debian experimental ASAP.
>>
>> There is no point.
>
> See above.

I repeat: there is no point.  Whitelists with emacs22 can be fixed
once Emacs 22 is available.  And of course, the emacs22 package will
start out in experimental, and then fixes will percolate until they
reach stable.

There is no necessity whatsoever to try speeding up that process by
"releasing" a package that does not correspond to upstream release
numbers.

This sort of nonsense is not done with any package outside of Emacs,
and the Emacs releases are not exactly so rapid in succession that it
would require such a technique to keep up with the release frequency
of Emacs.

There is no point in such an exercise.

If you don't believe me, ask on the Emacs developer list.  I don't
know how often I have to repeat this advice before it gets heeded.