[rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

"Jérôme Marant" <jmarant@gmail.com> writes:

>> If you disagree with my above reasoning that emacs21 should depend
>> on the "non-free" bits, this calls for a modification of help.el
>> and startup.el, i.e. the functions `describe-project' and
>> `startup-echo-area-message'.  Otherwise, people might be in for a
>> nasty surprise when they type C-h C-p.  Oh, and several commands
>> that look up documentation in the manual will not work at all.
>
> Does C-h C-p points to the documentation (info documentation) or to
> the DOC file ?  I guess some patches will have to be added to handle
> such cases, yes.
>
> I'm sorry you don't like this. I'm not really fond of it either, but
> I have the choice of either do what the Project decided or resign
> from the Project. I've chosen the former.

I've chosen the latter.  That is, replacing Debian on my own machine,
and no longer advocating the installation of Debian.  I'll continue to
maintain Debian packages for my Emacs-based software for at least a
month or two, depending on whether I choose Ubuntu, which uses Debian
packages.

If an OS keeps trying its best to hinder users from accessing valid
documentation for their software, I cannot advocate its use.

I'm half-tempted to move my software to non-free and place a notice in
README.Debian to the point that Debian prefers the "Freedom to deface
and dilute documentation", instead of the four kinds of freedom for
users of the software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html).
This probably won't happen, but it's a nice thought.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, IRC, EMMS, anime, manga, Debian