Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:16:22 +0100, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> said:

> Hubert Chan wrote:
>> Personally, I'm not too concerned about the doc packages not getting
>> installed.  There are a lot of packages in Debian that are split into
>> executable and documentation that don't have hard dependencies to
>> automatically install the documentation.

> Note that until now, the info documentation for most GNU programs was
> distributed in the package with the executables and not in the -doc
> package.  That indicates that Debian regarded this information as
> essential for these programs.

Not necessarily.  Often times, the documentation is small enough that it
does not justify splitting off into a separate package.  Or the
maintainer just didn't see any reason to split it off, and just never
bothered to.  It's easier to maintain a source that generates few
packages than one that generates more packages.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)