Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

Hubert Chan wrote:
Personally, I'm not too concerned about the doc packages not getting
installed.  There are a lot of packages in Debian that are split into
executable and documentation that don't have hard dependencies to
automatically install the documentation.

Note that until now, the info documentation for most GNU programs was
distributed in the package with the executables and not in the -doc
package.  That indicates that Debian regarded this information as
essential for these programs.  But this point of view will have to
change now.

As long as the maintainers add the appropriate stubs so that things like
C-h C-p don't generate confusing errors.  I suspect that most people
don't use the documentation anyways.

I suspect otherwise, but this will be decided soon when the
documentation is actually removed.  Let's see how many bug reports
come in.